Action you can take if Southwest Airlines lost your luggage
Losing your luggage at a new place can be a nightmare as you may have your essential and valuable items in the luggage. Some items may be such that you may need them on an urgent basis. Southwest Airlines is vigilant with the customer's baggage and strives to avoid any damage or loss of customers' luggage. However, in the rare scenario if a customer's luggage is lost by the airline, they can take steps to get it back. Immediate steps will be taken by the airline to retrieve the luggage as soon as possible and deliver it to the customer.
What should I do If I lose an item on Southwest Airlines?
Several travelers misplace an item, baggage, or property while traveling with Southwest Airlines. You have to immediately take action and reach the counter of Southwest Airlines to inform the representatives. If they leave the airport, they must call this number 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) and provide detailed information about the lost baggage to the representatives. The representative who will join the call will make every effort to provide you locate your property.
Southwest Lost and Found Policy
- If you have lost luggage on a domestic flight, you must notify the airline within 4 hours of arrival of the flight on which the loss took place.
- Southwest will not be responsible for manufacturing defects or minor damage like wear and tear, cuts, or scratches.
- If you are traveling internationally and you do not get your baggage on arrival, you have to inform the airline within at least 21 days.
- Customers must provide an email address and contact number so that they can be informed of the status of their luggage.
- Southwest will be responsible for delivering delayed baggage to the address informed by the customer.
What are the lost baggage terms & conditions of Southwest Airlines?
There are multiple terms & conditions given by Southwest Airlines, and if you are unaware of those instructions, then you must go through the below details.
- If you lose your baggage after checking in successfully, you are liable to get compensation, but you must communicate with the airport staff before the check-in.
- After filing the lost baggage complaint, you will be liable to get compensation if you cannot receive your bags within seven working days.
- If you are traveling to any international destination. In that case, you have to inform the airlines about lost baggage within 5 hours of completing the trip, and if you have a domestic booking, then you have to inform them within 4 hours of completing the trip.
How to file a southwest Airlines lost and found report
There are multiple options active using which you report your lost baggage report with Southwest Airlines. You must go through the details below if looking for those online and offline modes.
Use the lost and found form: You have to use the lost and found form to file your complaint about your baggage, and this form is available on the official website of Southwest Airlines. If you need details about the step-by-step process, review the points below.
- Reach the website of Southwest Airlines
- Then open the section of baggage and then navigate the lost and found option
- Further, a form will appear in which you have to provide the details about your lost property
- Next, you have to provide your contact details and your flight departure details then submit it.
Reach out to the representative: You can file your lost baggage report by connecting with the representatives, and you will get the details about Southwest's lost baggage Liability. For this, you have to call this number +1-800-435-9792. Then you must choose the comfortable connecting language and IVR relevant to your queries. Doing this, the representative will join the call and assist you accordingly.
Does Southwest pay you if they lose your bag?
Yes, Southwest Airlines does pay you if you lose your bag, and the compensation amount can go up to 38000$.
How much does Southwest pay for lost baggage?
The amount Southwest pays will depend upon the property's value, which needs to be added. Still, they will pay your amount between 200 USD to 500 USD. But you will get this amount if you complete the lost baggage report within 4 hours of travel.
Does Southwest compensate for delayed baggage?
Yes, Southwest does compensate for delayed baggage, and you can get compensation for any purchase made within reason for essential items like clothing or toiletry. The passenger can claim it using the official website.
How to claim compensation from Southwest Airlines (Delayed, Lost or Damaged Baggage)
You can claim compensation from Southwest by following the steps after you find out that your baggage may have been lost by the airline.
At the airport:
- As soon as you arrive at the airport and you do not get the baggage, you must go to the baggage service office and speak to a representative.
- You have to give the essential details to the agent along with your contact number. The agent will file an incident report and give you a report number which is needed to file a claim.
Via the phone number:
- If you have reached home, you can call the number 888 202-1024 and inform the representative about your lost baggage.
- You will have to provide the baggage tag number, passenger name, email address, flight number, and confirmation code.
- The agent will file a report for you, and you will receive a receipt with a number.
- The airline will try to track down the baggage, but it will be declared lost if not found within five days.
Final Steps to claim compensation:
- Open the homepage southwest.com and click "baggage policies"
- Select the tab "lost or damaged baggage."
- Click "Baggage claim web portal," then fill in your last name and the report number/file ID and log in.
- Follow the instructions further, and you will get an update on the compensation from the airline.